Monday, April 21, 2008

Followup to Tips for Saving $500 on Gas

A few weeks ago, I posted about some Tips for Saving $500 on Gas and said that I would report back the results, primarily from following the tip on driving less aggressively.

In my admittedly totally unscientific test, I did get noticeably better gas mileage, though not quite 30% better. My 2001 Camry used to get between 21-22 mpg. Now, after a couple of tanks of gas with a lighter foot on the pedal, I've been getting around 26-27 mpg. I'm shocked it made that much of a difference. I feel kind of stupid for wasting all that gas and money over the years. I figure the savings to be around $350/year for 12,000 miles.

Now I need to make sure that I'm really saving that $350 a year instead of reallocating those savings to more spending on something else.

No comments: