Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's Worth Asking

I recently was reminded that sometimes you can get a better rate just by asking. On Get Rich Slowly, a recent post on that tip prompted me to give it a try today.
I currently pay $42.95 for broadband internet access through my cable company. Recently, Verizon installed fiber (they call their service FiOS) throughout the neighborhood and has been offering comparable service for $34.99. I've thought about switching but I'm a little hesitant because it also converts my phone to a digital service that I'm not sure is as reliable as my good old analog phone service. I called my cable company and they agreed to match that price for the next 6 months. I may switch later, but at least in the meantime, I'll be saving a little.


1 comment:

J.D. @ Get Rich Slowly said...

This is awesome! It's great that you were able to save some money. The funny thing is: I hear about everyone else doing this, but I haven't tried it myself. I do think I'm going to try it on my home equity loan, though. And the savings there could be huge.